Monday, May 14, 2007

Talking a Bit Better...

Just an update on my progress since having my expanders put in two weeks this coming Thursday. It's getting much easier to talk which is a really good thing at our church as I answer the phones and I was thinking maybe people were beginning to wonder what I was drinking while I worked. :)

I have had a bit of trouble with turning the key once a week like I was told by Dr. K. I've read where there's many that have done this on their own and I am quite impressed that they can. I can't seem to see that tiny hole for the life of me...even with a magnifying glass! I've had my son turn it the first time but this weekend he couldn't see where the hole was and I tried myself for hours with two mirrors but I couldn't see it either. My husband even tried and he didn't have any lock either...it was quite frustrating for me because I didn't want to have to drive 40 minutes to the ortho's office to have them take two seconds to turn it. Well, finally at about 9:30pm last night I went into my son and asked him to give it one more try and I grabbed a really bright light and voila he foudn the hole and turned that baby twice for me. I was extrememly happy because it saved me a trip into the ortho today!!

I take my son in for his appointment on Thursday, he's towards the end of his treatment if he'd keep those rubber bands on he'd be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Clarissa! - Well, congratulations on starting your Orthognathic Journey in your 40's! Join the club - I started my Journey at age 47 in 2005, and am just a day away from my debracing! I had my jaw surgery last July 18th. I had a BSSO Setback for an underbite. My OMS setback my mandible 6mm and also removed excess bone too. He's a Coasmetic Surgeon too, and did some chin and neck Lipo on me as well, just prior to the jaw surgery procedure. I started my own orthognathic surgery support group on Yahoo in late October, so feel free to join my group - would love to have you as a member. The address is: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/orthognathicsurgerysupport3/ . There are over 130 members there, at all stages of their treatment. Will you be going abroad to have your surgery? My insurance didn't cover my surgery either.
My OMS has surgical privileges at a small short-term hospital here in Boise that charges ALOT less for the surgery. My BSSO cost me $2650 (that's for the surgery, one night's stay, pre-op blood tests, EKG, all drugs and misc. items) at that hospital compared to $10K for the same surgery at one of the larger area hospitals. Anesthesiologist is a separate charge ($1056, but that was for my Lipo and BSSO), as is the OMS's surgical fee (mine was ~ $5100, paid in 2 installments prior to the surgery). The $10K would only be for the surgery itself - everything else would be an extra charge.
If this sounds like something you might like to consider (Boise is closer to Tucson than Costa Rica), my OMS's name is: Dr. Michael Bailey, MD, DDS. His telephone # is (208) 344-9115. And, you are welcome to stay with me in my home during the beginning of your recovery time, before he clears you to return home. Dr. Bailey is the nicest, most caring and compassionate doctor I've ever known. I was splinted and banded for 15 days, then the splint was removed by my OD who also changed my wires and banding configuration to resume my ortho treatment. My name is Diane and my email address is: dmd13cyto@yahoo.com. Feel free to write me anytime. I've been through this and can answer questions. ~~~~~~ Diane