Sunday, December 28, 2008

"Surgery Day" Countdown Begins...



Wow...three days seems too quick...or not quick enough...wow...it's finally almost here. Am I excited??? Uhmmm..well I wouldn't say excited as much as I'd say a bit nervous right at this point. I've still a bunch of things to get done before Wednesday so I'm writing lists like crazy. I still have to submit some pre-surgery paperwork, pick up a few things at the grocery store so when my son gets home on Friday he'll have something to eat besides pureed soup. :)

I have a wonderfully sweet girlfriend who will be getting herself out of bed at 4am in the morning to come over and pick me up as the hospital is about 45 minutes away and I was told to arrive by 5:30 am with all the other surgical patients for that day. It must be quite a sight seeing all these sleepy people walking like zombies into the hospital to get operated on even before their completely awake...only to be put back to sleep again. Maybe that's why they have you come so early, figuring you're still half asleep and you won't know what's going on and what's to come as soon as they inject that sleepy serum and have you start thinking of being on a beautiful sandy beach with a handsome hunk....or if they think you don't look like a beachy kind of person, they'll have you counting backwards from 10, 9, 8, 7....until you drift into nothingness.. *sigh* wonder if you dream when you're put to sleep??? I'd like to dream about what I'll be able to eat after weeks of slurping down pureed soups, runny mashed potatoes and smoothies. Maybe I'll dream that I never needed the surgery to begin with. :)

1 comment:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Oh wow, Clarissa! It's crazy to think you're on the eve of the 'big day'...and couldn't be closer to the wire on getting it in for the year :)

If not any actual sleep, I hope you are at least able to get some rest before heading in so early in the morning~ your friend rocks!!

Best wishes for a smooth, uneventful surgery (as uneventful as these things are, anyway right?) and will definately be thinking of you and sending prayers your way that all goes well *hug*

Will eagerly be waiting to hear from you on the other side when you're up to it. Take good care :)