Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mentoplasty Reduction Surgery



Mentoplasty is actually a surgery on chin reduction. It basically promotes the reconstructuring and the reformation of the mentum of the face. Mentum refers to the most anterior region of the jaw or the mandible. For some people, the jaw region is prominent, this is called macrogenia. If the jaw is somewhat deficient or receding, then the condition is called microgenia. With mentoplasty, the mentum region is aesthetically enhanced to make a better profile to the face.

During the mentoplasty surgery, the surgeon usually makes an incision in one or two possible location. He may either do the cut under the lower lip inside the mouth or under the chin in an inconspicuous location or in both. The procedure uses a bone burr or a drill, which is an electrical instrument, to change the shape of the bone in the chin yet still give it a natural appearance. For problematic fat chins, the same procedure is applied. After sucking or melting out the fat, the surgeon will stitch the incision or apply a tape to suit up the incisions.

I will be having this done when I have my lower jaw advanced. I'm a bit nervous as I would like to see my chin before he finsihes...LOL..so I can tell him whether I like it or not. I also would like to try to negotiate the charges for such surgery. My doctor is wanting to charge me $4,000 for this surgery and I feel that is a bit much for this procedure and for what I've been researching. Has anyone ever negotiated these types of charges??? Let me know because I really can't afford that much and as part of my jaw surgery I think it should be inlcuded with a small fee. What do you think???

1 comment:

Katherine (Kate) said...

I have NO idea whether these fees are negotiable or not. There does seem to be a difference in the price of these procedures depending on the OS, where you live, etc, but don't see why it couldn't be discussed on a one-on-one basis, concerning necessity, effect on overall outcome, the fact that you'll already be under anesthetic and on the table.... worth a heart to heart with him, anyways :)

Can he give you a picture prediction of what the outcome 'could' look like? I hear you on wanting some idea on what it will look for before hand...some suprises are more nerve racking than others...Now a sparkly bobble under the Christmasd tree that was unanticipated = GOOD suprise, haha!

Good luck :)

(Ps. how jealous , but happy at the same time, were you to see your son braces-free? Awesome!)