Sunday, January 25, 2009

25 Days Since Surgery...


It's hard to believe that it's now 25 days since I had my lower jaw advanced 6mm and my chin reduced 6mm. I still have some swelling in my chin and would imagine that will take some time to go away completely. I have been feeling twinges in my chin and lower lip so I think that is probably good news as the nerves continue to work at repairing themselves so hopefully I'll see some feeling coming back in my chin and lower lip.

I'm still eating no chew foods like lots of cream of wheat, oatmeal, scrambled eggs w/ cheese, pasta, chilli, mashed potatoes, yogurt, smoothies, protein shakes, soups, ice cream, pudding and ice cream. I find I'm only eating three meals a day with NO SNACKING as I have not been that terribly hungry.

I also continue to do my lower facial exercises as Dr. Wood suggested by getting some serious movement going. I find I'm very restricted in my facial muscles around the chin and lip area. Elaine posted some great photos of her exercises and I was so impressed with what she could do with her mouth...I tried them but couldn't get my mouth to go in some of the directions she could...she must be double jointed...Hahaha. When I smile it's very crooked still and if I didn't look in the mirror I'd never know it was crooked...but it's seriously crooked!! I know once I get the feeling back it will all look fine...just working on being patient!!

3 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Man, looking in from the outside, it really IS hard to believe it's been 25 days already. Yes! Bring on those twinges~ those nerves are firing!

It's funny how the rougher stuff seems to go in stages, but can be entirely a different kind of 'rough'. As in, the first week has got to be brutal, then you start feeling better; the improvements so drastic & obvious that it's got to be a bit of a high.

Then the longer more drawn out phase of healing, and the patience required as you've mentioned. That's not always a fun spot either. ( Not for the impatient person anyways, haha).

I love how you've always had something to celebrate along your way so far Clarissa. You didn't fluff the hard stuff but your positive outlook throughout has been truely motivating. :)

Keep practicing those excersizes & you'll be having a "face off" with Elaine before you know it :)

Clarissa said...

Face Off...no pun intended...hahaha...that just made me laugh!! Thanks Katherine!!

Dragon (Karen) said...

Wow ... 25 days already Clarissa and you're looking fantastic!!!

Good luck with with your feeling returning and here's to you seeing continuing great results with the exercises!