Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day Eight Post Op...Crooked Smile...Say Cheese!


A bit goofy looking with my "half stiff smile"...but hey...at least I'm trying to smile. I get rid of the tape on Saturday so that will be one less medical accessory that might allow me to look a bit more normal. Jessi still is wondering why I talk to so funny when I call her.

My chin was hurting a bit today so I'm thinking there's a bit more feeling in that area. I can't feel my lower jaw at all when I'm brushing my teeth and that can be dangerous if you're not careful when brushing. I've caught myself via the pain of brushing to quickly and hitting the back of your jaw...pain is the first word that comes to mind. I'm doing really well with keeping my bands on all the time except when eating. I keep them a bit loser during the day so that when I answer the phone I can be understood.

I haven't been real hungry and although my stomach was growling for dinner I made myself some macaroni and cheese with a roasted cheddar wurst and blended it all together...I ate maybe a quarter of the bowl and felt very full so I put the rest in the fridge for tomorrows lunch. I haven't stepped on the scale and think I've probably lost some weight as I just haven't been real hungry. I know I have to eat and get my calories up for the healing process I'm finding I'm having to push myself to eat. I think some of it is having to blend my food and eating it which gives it a completely different texture...than I am use to eating it.

I've been real good about exercise since coming home a week ago. Everyday I've gotten out to walk. At first it was just around the yard and then I graduated to the end of the driveway and today I would say I walked about 30 minutes and by the time I was coming up my small hill to the house I was ready to sit down. It's hard to breath through having your jaw banded shut...LOL...I can't let my mouth hang open and take in all that fresh air. It feels good to get out and about and especially good knowing I'm getting stronger every day. Plus my dogs love to go for a walk and it keeps them in shape as well.

No comments: