Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Wires...Rubber Bands and a HUGE Headache to boot...



Today is One Month and One Day since my surgery. Things are moving right along...LOL...no pun intended! I had two appointments this week, yesterday I went to my Oral Surgeon's office for a check up and he's very happy with how everything is looking. He did that sharp and dull object test again to see how much feeling I have back in my chin and lower lip area...well...I have a little feeling on my "left" and none on the right....yet. This all can take time as anyone who has had surgery knows. I'm encouraged as I've been getting a lot of twinges in my chin area so that tells me those nerves are working to reconnect.

On another note, he asked me about the screw that is poking through under my tongue and I let him know that all THREE of the screws are poking through but two are only poking against the skin and only one is broken through the skin... but you can feel them. He said that he'll have to take them out but it won't be for another six months or so, which is fine. Although I can feel them with my tongue, they're not causing sores or anything...which is a good thing. He also said that my chin will get a bit narrower as it's still pretty swollen.

Today I had an ortho appointment with Dr. Kawakami and my OS thought I should have a splint made to give the teeth that are not touching something to rest on. Dr. Kawakami felt that we didn't need to take impressions for a splint as he felt putting on rubber bands will start to pull them down. I was actually relieved as I wasn't looking foward to getting impressions with the limited range of motion my jaw has right now. So, they took out my surgical wires which was a great celebration...and put in another wire on both top and bottom. I now am wearing triangle rubber bands, two on each side. My teeth are quite sore and my jaw and to top it all off...I have a HUGE headache. So, I have been popping ibprofen today to help with the ache in my teeth and head. I'll be going back in a few weeks to get some new brackets in a few places where they've broken.

I would expect I won't be in braces that much longer...maybe six months more...that's my guess...we'll see what it actually is.

4 comments:

mcgee33 said...

Love your picture, Clarissa! I really like your hair straight and your smile is so beautiful. How's the stiffness, is it gone? Or is there still a little around your nose? Sorry about the headache, glad you're popping the ibuprofen. Hope you feel better soon! If you have the chance, post the answer about the stiffness, okay?

Clarissa said...

Hi Elaine,

Thank you so much...I like my hair straight too, it's just a bit more work to get it straight. :) I'm a no fuss kind of girl but lately I've been in the mood to straighten it. :) As far as stiffness...due to only having lower jaw surgery I do have some stiffness in my chin and lower lip area...I'm feeling like I'm getting some feeling back in my lower lip but it's still pretty numb. Patience is a virtue...so I continue to be patient. :) Ha...have no choice really!!

funkyrhodes said...

You're definitely looking a lot better! That stinks about the screws, glad it isn't bothering you as much as it could. I'm also hoping to get my braces off 6 months post-op...

Katherine (Kate) said...

I was going to ask which one was the natural style~ You're just so versatile! I like how lively your eyes are getting as the pictures progress. Maybe I'm a bit fruity, but the eye's don't lie ;)

Okay, that screw thing (yes, it's technicaly not a huge deal, awesome they're not creating problems or pain, and a relief they'll be coming out) still just gives me the kreebles a little bit.

Owwww! Will be hoping the jaw and teeth settle into their new positions really quick so those elastics stop giving you a hard time.

(How do you use a standard keyboard to make a smiley face popping pain pills? Insert that here :) )