Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 16 Post Op - Look...I Can Talk!!!


Wow...I've been busy this week with starting back to work and all my appointments. I went in to see my ortho, Dr. Kawakami and I was very nervous as I thought I was there for an impression for a splint but he just wanted to look at how things were coming. Phewww....I left quite happy!!

Yesterday I had my two week follow up with Dr. Wood, my oral surgeon. He was quite happy with the healing and told me I just need to wear two rubber bands during the day and close it all up tight at night like I've been doing which involves about six rubber bands. I was so excited, I can now TALK....and everyone can understand me...Yay!!! He then put my chin and lower lip area through the "pointy instrument' test to see if I had an feeling yet. Everywhere he touched in my chin area I couldn't feel the pointy instrument and my lower lip is gaining a little feeling back. He said to give it time as he didn't severe any nerves so it's just a matter of patience. I have to say my chin feels cold and prickly all the time. I find myself covering it with my hand to warm it up but when I put my hand to my chin...it's warm...LOL...go figure. Dr. Wood was ready to send me on my way for a two week follow up when I asked him about the thing I felt in the way back behind my tongue. I told him I thought it was bone and he was like....what??? So he unwrapped all my rubber bands and got his trusty dental mirror and started to take a look and at first he didn't see it until I showed him it was way in the back by my back molars under my tongue. He then tried fitting his fat fingers into my incapacitated jaw and I thought he was going to break my jaw...LOL...oh yea...it's already broken...well I can say it was hurting and he went back to using the mirror and *drum roll please*...he said...Oh my....it's one of the screws sticking out from my jaw....WHAT???????...I guess it's better than bone which I thought that's what it was...NOPE...it's the screw! He was kind of shocked but tried not to show it...but he said that if it's really bothering me that they'll have to wait for six - seven weeks for my jaw to heal and they could remove it, but he wanted to see if skin would grow over top of it ...so we are just going to let it be for right now and see what happens.

Guess what I ate today???? Shhhh...don't tell anyone...I had Nico's Nachos with French Fries....all the makings of Nachos but with french fries....I chose this because I knew it would soften up the fries enough so i wouldn't have to chew them. I forgot that they actually put steak pieces on top so I had to work my way around the steak but it was delicious. I've lost a little over 15 pounds in two weeks so I didn't think those fries would matter much. It was sinful but oh...so delicious!!!

3 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Lots of good news here!....with a touch of 'ewwwwww'! How much is that screw sticking out? (Not that it takes very much in a mouth, like when you have a sore of any sort and your tongue just can't help going there.) Is this bothering you or disconcerting in any way? Or more just a relief to know what it is?

You have had a pretty darn good recovery, all said and done, haven't you? (Yes, doubtlessly ups & downs....but overall?)

And your Nacho experience ~You go girl! Hey you made sure it was soft enough for no chew, so no rules broken as far as I can tell, heehee :) Enjoy!

Clarissa said...

Hi Kate...I know...today I felt back there again with my finger and I can actually feel all three screw tips right in a row. Weird! I will probably have him take them out as it just feel like I have something back there annoying the heck out of my tongue...but I'll be patient and see. You are right...my recovery has gone really well and I feel quite grateful for how well it's all gone. :)

Katherine (Kate) said...

It's interesting that you lean towards taking them out, and I definately don't blame you, it's just that so many, after they've fgone through with the surgery would do anything to avoid them 'going back in'.

Not having been there (yet) I lean towards wanting them to take EVERYTHING out when all's said and done....but like I say, I'm not there yet. I'm just weird about having foreign things in me that are no longer required. Sick, I know :)

Like you say, You have to be patient until that's even feasible anyways, so hope they stop being so annoying in the meantime :)